July 1, 2020 ~ Smothered pork chops surprised me equally in flavor and calorie count. When Kate first said this was what she was making I had a throwback thought to Long Island diners and super salty heavy gravy with tons of mushrooms in it, sort of the chop getting drowned out by the gravy kind of feel. My imagination was 180 off. Another good reason not to have an opinion until you have had all the facts.
We were getting tired of rice so Kate made tater tots. For a vegetable, we had Tom’s favorite fresh asparagus spears cooked in olive oil with garlic until they were nearly unrecognizable. We compromise when we can.
The recipe can be found here: https://diethood.com/smothered-pork-chops-recipe/
- FOR THE PORK CHOPS
- 1 pound bone-in pork chops, 1-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning or seasoning salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter – Kate used 1 tablespoon of salted butter
- FOR THE ONION GRAVY
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced – Kate used a red onion
- pinch of salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream – Kate used half and half as we do not keep heavy cream in stock
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Total calories per serving are approximately 613. It is an outstanding meal, flavorful, repeatable, and not heavy, at all.
Pork chops are gaining a whole new level of respect.
Until the next time!